However, sometimes life throws ya a goddamn curveball.
In this case, it's a curveball I fucking love.
The Supreme Court voted 5-4 to uphold to a certain extent the ACA, or Obamacare.
I really don't care much about the ACA.
It's a pretty shitty bill, but something has to be done with our nation's healthcare policy.
The fact that it will become law is not much of an issue for me.
I'm going to be blunt.
Unless you have absolutely no income, there is no goddamn reason to not find a cheap health insurance policy.
I don't care if I have to scrimp and save every penny, I'm making damn sure I don't lose everything due to a medical problem.
That being said, my main concern with the mandate was that it would lead to a larger governmental role in general commerce.
Then John "Motherfucking" Roberts acted like the man he is and made damn sure that wasn't the case.
I'll spare the details, but the decision basically comes down to this:
- The mandate is NOT constitutional due to the Commerce Clause or the N&P Clause
- The mandate IS, however, constitutional as a tax, since those who don't opt-in will be forced to pay.
- Existing Fed-to-State Medicare funds remain untouched whether or not states opt-into the program.
- Additional funding may be withheld.
So why am I so fucking happy?
Because this is the best case scenario, hands down.
Let's look at why FHP is so cheery today:
- The ruling makes clear that this DOES NOT give the government free reign to interfere in commerce (because if there is one organization I want getting more power over my wallet, it's the one who just fucking randomly loses billions.)
- Insurance will be much more accessible. I don't like the ACA much, but it was clear something had to be done. The United States spends more on health care costs, both numerically and proportionally, than any other country.
- Obama looks like a complete douche now, after explicitly saying the ACA was NOT a tax.
- This is just speculation, but I pray to God this is the end of the Tea Party. They have driven the GOP to become a group of fucktarded reactionists.
- John Roberts is, in my opinion, going to go down as one of the best chief justices in American history.
Did I mention he has balls of steel?